New North Citizens’ Council
https://scan360.org – website down 9/27/18
Program Name: New North Family Support Services
Funded by: DDS
Target Population: Families that have a member with an intellectual disability referred by DDS.
Capacity: 160 families
Communities served: Springfield-Westfield Area Office of the Department of Disability Services
Provides long term family support, service navigation, case management, and other supports to ethnically diverse Springfield area families.
New North Citizens’ Council is a community based organization which provides:
1. “Walk-ins”: This program is available to all who “walk-in” seeking
information, referral, assistance or services. Since 1999, over 50,000
Person were served New North Citizens’ Council:747-0097
2. Housing Program: This program provides assistance to families in need of housing services including first time homebuyer’s workshops and homeless prevention services.
3. Young Parents Support Group (YPS): The Young Parents Support Program provides pregnant or parenting youth age 24 and under with home based parent support programming. Services include case management, prenatal and parenting education, child abuse prevention and information and referral.
4. Skill Builders: The purpose of this program is to preserve and strengthen families where child abuse or neglect has been investigated and supported and where children are at risk of entering substitute care placement. (Closed referral)
5. Promoting Adolescent Strengths: Cases are referred from the Department of Children and Family Services where child maltreatment has been reported. Service delivery includes assessment, planning, case management and service coordination. The primary client is the adolescent in the family.
6. SCAN360: This program assists families with a member who has a developmental disability through enhanced information and referral and limited case management. Family navigators assist with access to services and ensure that available benefits and services are identified.
7. Youth United for Peace (YUP): YUP is a violence prevention program. This program engages youth to develop strategies to conduct outreach to their peers in our community and provide education on violence prevention and negotiation skills.
8. Child Care Services: Comprehensive bilingual (English/Spanish) early childhood education in a group setting is provided to infant, toddler and preschool aged children for parents working or going to school at two sites in the North End of Springfield, extended day full year care is provided at the Gerena Public School for children of working parents who attend the Public School part time preschool program and full-day, full year infant/toddler and preschool services are provided to the students and faculty of the alternative Springfield High School, and Boland Middle School.
9. Services for Teens Parents and their Children (STPC): Provides developmentally appropriate infant-toddler childcare, transportation with documented need, social services and case management, health and nutritional services, family planning, family support services, parenting education, and more.
10. NNCC Drop-In Center: This program integrates HIV prevention and education, substance abuse prevention, hepatitis c, and primary services to the substance abusing population. It provides a safe space for individuals who are active or are in recovery to get information and referrals; health education; peer-led interventions; life skills training; and on-going discussions with individuals who use the center about their needs and the resources that are available. This program provides anonymous counseling and testing for HIV.
11. Housing Opportunities for Persons with Aids Program: Provides shallow subsidies; rental assistance and supportive services to individuals who are HIV positive and may be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
12. Springfield Minority & Re-Entry SA/HIV/Hep Prevention Initiative: This federally funded project utilizes the prevention frameworks which include needs assessment; implementation of a science based curriculum & capacity building; monitoring; & evaluation. This project also includes the provision of Rapid Testing procedures for the minority and re-entry populations.
Record last updated on 07/10/2019